Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Beach

Driving home from school the other day I had my windows open and caught a whiff of this mild, sulfer-y, salty smell as I passed a farm. I was immediately reminded of the beach in St Petersburg, FL my family used to travel to every year. Unfortunately it's been some time since I've visited. . .

 Despite the glorious 80 degree weather, and the sun and sand, the thing I miss the most are the smells that are there. Not just the beach smell, but the smell of my grandparents's porch, their house, the ice cream shop we frequent, and the air outside long bridge on the way to the beach. I love it, and I miss it. 


They say smell has a huge effect on memory. I can totally attest to this. The second I smell something similar (like the farm of my way home) my mind is flooded with childhood memories. 

Fall is great (and has plenty of wonderful smells [I could probably write like 8 posts about smells {weird? maybe?}]) But I could totally use a beach day and the warmth and welcome of those favorite smells. 



No comments:

Post a Comment